- Reflexology is an ancient healing art.
- Reflexology is a form of natural healing that is both a science and an art.
- The science lies in the principle that there are reflex areas in the hands and the feet, which correspond to all parts of the body
- The art is the unique technique applied to the reflex areas by the thumbs and fingers.
- Reflexology is a holistic therapy in that it uses the feet to treat the whole body.
- It aims to restore balance by increasing circulation to the internal organs, glands and other parts of the body through the feet.
Reflexology is often favoured over other forms of holistic therapies because undressing is not required, other than the removal of socks and shoes, and it can be practised virtually anywhere that is comfortable for the practitioner and the client.
The dictionary defines the word “reflex”˜ as “an involuntary muscle contraction due to external stimulus”, in the context of reflexology; however, reflex is used in the sense of reflection, or mirror image.
These reflexes are found in the soles of the feet and the palms of the hands, which act as small mirrors reflecting the whole of the body.